Monday, July 16, 2007

Heck to the Yeah! The Lion King Was AWESOME!

So. This past Saturday, Pete and I went to see The Lion King. It was amazing! My eyes kept getting all watery right from the start all through the whole thing because I was so excited. Pete, who is apparently more like her father than like me, says she didn't get choked up at all. I don't think she even laughed or anything. She just sat there and watched, totally still. I had to remind her to clap when it was all over. But she says she liked it a lot and wants to go to another show sometime.

The whole thing was really neat. If you've seen the movie, you know the story so I won't bore you with that part, but the way they represent it, the makeup and the puppets and the costumes and the costumes that were puppets too... You have GOT to see it. Seriously! The giraffes were fantastic! The hyenas were weird-looking. Zazu was cool: he was a puppet and there was a guy all in blue who carried him around and talked and sang and did all his stuff and you didn't even think about the fact that there was some blue guy holding a puppet. All you saw was Zazu. The same with Timon but his guy was green and Timon was kind of stuck to the front of him. The lions, Mufasa and Scar, had lion heads that sat on top of the actors' heads except when they moved a certain way. Then they could make them swing forward and down in a really imposing and threatening way. It's hard to explain. You'll just have to go see it, I think. And young Simba and young Nala were really cute and talented (like you would expect them to be in a show like that). And Rafiki was a woman and pretty funny. It was so... so... Well, I wish we could go again! Right now! And tomorrow and the day after and... well, you get it.

After that we went to dinner and the place we picked didn't make blender drinks so we couldn't get virgin pina coladas and daiquiris, like we'd planned, and after dinner the library was closed and I didn't have enough money to pay for parking and go on a carriage ride so we came home, but we still had a wonderful time. Pete wasn't ready for it to be over, and neither was I. On the way home we stopped and bought a daiquiri mixer and had daiquiris with Lulu and Husbandguy when we got home.

LL & DH had a nice afternoon too apparently. They went to the park and the mall and out to dinner too. I'm sure they had a nice time, but I think Pete and I had the better date.

Oh yeah, and since Pete really likes music, after the show, we looked to see how much the cast recording was, and it was $25! I told Pete we'd see how much it was online when we got home, and we found it for less than $10 at Amazon. Thank goodness we didn't buy it there! So if you do get a chance to go, really think about whether you need souvenirs right then because you can probably find them for less somewhere else.

2 comments:

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

Oh, I am so glad you guys had so much fun! I also appreciated the review- I didn't think I really wanted to see it and now I do. Her next production should be "Hairspray". Just kidding... maybe she would like "Mamma Mia"???

bel said...

I'm going to try to get tickets to Cats or Annie. And when The Little Mermaid starts touring, we are definitely going to that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails