Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

So I borrowed a book from the library that is on Entertainment Weekly's 100 New Classics list, which I first encountered on one of Dana's blogs. I had read about 6% of the books on the list and even though I disagreed about the classic-worthiness of a couple of them, I thought I'd try a few more. The one I started with was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'd never heard of it and didn't have any idea what it was about until I picked it up and read the back. The description, with words like "postapocalyptic" and "Oprah's Book Club" didn't grab me right off and the library's copy didn't mention the awards it won, but I thought I'd chance it anyway. It's about a father and son's journey across a cold, dead, burned out wasteland to the coast. I found it compelling, frightening, and touching. I'm no speed reader, but it took less than a week for me to finish, which is good for me. I even read it while the TV was on! Husbandguy wouldn't read it even if he was a reader, but according to Wikipedia, they're making it into a movie so maybe he'll watch it with me, at least. I hope the movie stays true to the book because if it does, I think it has a chance of being a gripping film.

1 comment:

Tigriswillreign said...

It's good to hear that at least one of those books is worth its salt! I'll have to put that on my to read list...

Related Posts with Thumbnails