Wednesday, January 23, 2008

More Birthday Baking

Have you ever made a burnt sugar cake? I have. It's yummy!

Since we couldn't figure out how to bring the last of the birthday cake from this past weekend home with us from the Grandpa and Meme's house without messing up the icing, I didn't have any cake on hand for my birthday yesterday. And what's a birthday without a cake or something? I guess I could have asked Husbandguy and Pete to make something, right? But come on! Do you know me at all? It's way more fun for me to make it myself. I'd say that 2/3 3/4 of the joy of baked goods for me is the actual baking. I spent the whole day trying to decide what kind of cake to make because we don't have any mixes in the pantry, and burnt sugar cake sounded like something DH would like. And it was! Me too. And Pete. Lulu didn't finish hers, but we think she was full from dinner.

Now we're trying to decide what kind of icing it needs. We're eating it un-iced for the time being, but I think we're all in agreement that it needs something next time I make it. Moomie said my grandma always made burnt sugar icing, which I'd like to try, but it's time consuming and tricky so I'll need to plan ahead. DH thinks caramel icing might be too much, but maybe not. No one thinks chocolate would be good except Pete who eats chocolate on everything. Have you ever had it? What kind of icing did it have on it? Would you eat it again? Want me to make you one? I wonder if Poppop would like it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.cooks.com has a lot of recipes for burnt sugar cake and they all seem to have recipes for icing. Caramel seems popular and some form ofr burnt sugar icing does as well. Just thought you'd like to know.

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

Also, too! How fun is it that you got multiple birthday cakes? Did you have a terrific 27th?

bel said...

And Moomie has promised me a pie next weekend!

This was one of my best 27th birthdays yet!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails