Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mowore Dayncin'

Yesterday, Pete and I went to the ballet. Our little local professional group did Peter and the Wolf and The Carnival of the Animals as part of a matinee series aimed at kids. It was enjoyable but definitely for a young audience. I love Peter and the Wolf - the music, the story, the memory of listening to it on the Grandpa's record player with the big headphones swallowing my ears, the fact that as an adult I didn't remember that it is actually narrated until TG got it for me for Christmas a few years ago. I suppose the potential is there for a beautiful and frightening ballet if choreographed right. This was more like a children's theater production, though. A good children's theater production, at least. The duck? Wearing a little yellow beak. The hunters? Bumbling and goofy. The procession to the zoo at the end? A little like a line dance. We enjoyed it, though.

And the Carnival of the Animals? It was pretty. Husbandguy would have gone to sleep.

Oh, and the orchestra pit was open but empty. Pete and I were both disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like great fun! And I think it was TM that hunted down, bought, and wrapped the CD for you! :)
Love,
the Meme

bel said...

That doesn't surprise me...

Pete and I both love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails