Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Physical Fitness Test Phobia (PhFTPh)

Sunday night, I tucked Pete in and less than 5 minutes later she came out of her room with tears in her eyes. She said, "Mom, I don't want to go to school on Wednesday." Apparently her PE teacher is giving them a test this week, which he told them about 2 weeks ago, for which she was supposed to be practicing but wasn't. They have to do 9 sit-ups, some push-ups, and some other things, including run around the lower field 3 times (1 mile, we think). She was really scared. I totally know how she was feeling. I hated physical fitness tests, although I don't think I ever failed one. Poor kid! My first reaction was to say, "It's late. Let's talk about this tomorrow," but that wasn't good enough. So then I said, "I bet you can do 9 sit-ups. Come on. Show me." And she did. She did 9 no problem. So I had her show me her push-ups. They were funky but she did 5 and could have done more if I'd asked her to. Then I promised her that I would talk to her dad (who was putting Lulu to bed), that I would ask him to help her with the running when she got home from school Monday. He agreed. They tried, but 5 minutes after they left they came back with Pete looking all sullen. Apparently HG wanted her to jog but her teacher had used the word run so Pete, being 6, decided that if HG wouldn't let her run she would walk and he got all impatient with her and blahblahblah...

So the test is tomorrow. She knows she will pass the sit-ups part and has apparently decided not to worry about the rest. Wish her luck.

3 comments:

The Grandpa said...

Good luck, Pete.

I'll be thinking about you.

Unknown said...

Pete, just do your best and have fun!

Peace - Rene

Anonymous said...

I think they do these at the beginning and end of the year. So it doesn't matter how she does tomorrow--she has the whole rest of the year to practice. And the best news is. . . she only has to compete with herself!!
Big encouragement--go-get-'em-hugs from the Meme

Related Posts with Thumbnails