Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 5 – Trudging Forward

Day 5: I did what I wanted to do; I rewrote the opening scene with her husband instead of her friend. It was not a difficult task to change the relationship and may have actually helped make the story more coherent. What is missing from the original relationship, though, is the emotion a person would feel if the partner that person had abandoned suddenly and unexpectedly showed up. How would she feel? What should she do? Does she still love him? What should she do about still loving him (or not)? This is my new challenge, and by challenge I mean thing I cannot readily and easily do, but it needs to be addressed to some extent in the beginning. So I printed the pages of rewritten material and will be performing literary plastic surgery with my pen over the weekend. I may or may not wear a surgical mask…

Since I was finished, then, thinking about this less-miserable mess of words, I pulled out my other story and went to work on the fantastic notes Septembermom had given me. I’ve added a paragraph and a couple of words here and there based on her recommendations, and it’s really coming along.

And then I found myself wandering through my house muttering, “Mud room… Front hallway… Wavy blonde hair…” and wondered if other writers talk to themselves as much as I do while they’re working. I actually wondered this out loud.

So? Do you?

(Next – Day Next: Dealing with dinner…)

3 comments:

The Write Girl said...

Sometimes I hear dialogue developing in my head. When I do, I try to immediately write it down. Sometimes, the story can flow. I remember hearing a writer say that outlining what will happen in each scene is not needed. It's important to let the unexpected happen. Keep writing and developing. I hope you'll post your work here!!

Shannon said...

I talk to myself all the time. And I talk to my characters. And I hear them talking to each other.

It's perfectly normal.

I think. ;)

septembermom said...

Keep talking and brainstorming with yourself. Sounds like you're on the right track :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails