Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Argument For

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it is a good idea, or even okay, really, for my girls to spend their entire summer vacation in front of the TV, but I will admit that I let them watch a little every day. Once they have done certain things (like Pete practicing piano and Lulu picking up her toys and getting dressed) (or dressed again - it's hard to keep that kid clothed).

This summer they discovered "Time Warp Trio." It's a silly show about a magical book that sends these 3 kids back into history. They meet actual cartoon representations of historical figures and visit historical time periods and apparently my children are learning a little bit here and there. And it's hard to argue that there is no value in this program when Pete knows more about Mary Shelley than Husbandguy does (he said, "Isn't 'Mary Shelley' a pseudonym? It's a man, right?"), especially since she's not old enough to read Frankenstein yet.

On the other hand, it is not hard to argue that there is no value in watching another program about a square, yellow sea creature type thing and turn the TV off. So I still do that.

1 comment:

PSPants said...

Hmmmm. As you are the girl who convinced me that 20-ish year olds can appropriately watch cartoons (ie, Animaniacs), your kids might be genetically pre-disposed to enjoy some of the finer nuances of animated comedy. This battle might be harder for you than some! However, I agree with the general premise, and I do allow short watchings of various shows (primarily Sprout for us), but I am blessed with "On Demand," which gives me complete control and 10 or 20 minute episodes, which I administer as praise or to help out the babysitter!

Related Posts with Thumbnails